Friday, August 8, 2008

1st post: what am I doing? and Thoughts on olympic ceremony

So why, what, and when? 
Personally, the most important is why. I want to start writing my opinions that will stir from my normal everyday feelings of conformity. I want to be more opinionated and actually affect other people. 
 What will I talk about? Anything. Of course, topics that interest me. When? I have a horrible sleeping schedule so I guess---no, I know---I'll be posting anytime when I feel like. 

First post topic: China Olympic ceremony at Beijing. 
I just read someone else's post where the original poster (OP) said that the ceremony was perfect but was totally expected and unoriginal. 

Immediately upon reading the original post, I, being easily influenced, concurred with the OP, as it was well written and truthfully persuasive.  However, after a bit of deeper thinking, I must disagree. First, I will say that I am not attempting to defend the "perfection" of the ceremony, as I am no expert in choreography.    

One point that the OP stated that I disagree with is that most people will probably think the perfection of the performance was expected and that this was their(China's) stereotypical performance. Sorry, but no one can expect perfection. The appearance of perfection that reaches expectations is only realized after the fact, with hindsight. In addition, this was by no means a stereotypical performance. This performance probably surprised China's own population with its creative ingenuity. The act with the movable type where no one would possible think that each piece was controlled by humans, indeed was controlled by men. The ongoing theme of man controlling machine was apparent throughout the performance. 

Another point of disagreement would be on the POV of the original poster. Yes, the performance utilized thousands of actors and performed with "perfection" in huge cinematic dances. Have you tried to view it from a cultural perspective? I just did, and I feel that the culture values unison of individual members for a harmonious whole. Sure, if you compare the Beijing opening ceremony to a act from the west, such as the United States, where it would probably be a few if not single performer acting very independently to entertain. The OP mentioning "Dancing With the Stars" is a perfect example of POV, where the show only focuses on two individuals at one time.  

I'm glad I read the OP's post today. It was the first criticism of the performance I have read so far. It is heathy to see difference of opinions. 

ZZZ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great response, thanks for the compliments. I do see your argument too -- it wasn't a stereotypical olympic opening ceremony. But what I said was since China now has all the hype, money, and people, and if you were thinking about the opening ceremony before the night before, then you would have expected something grand, gigantic, and acrobatic. And that is what it was. So I -- the sports fan and politically aware 13 year old -- wasn't impressed. Its not like they could have done more -- they spent so much time and money on it. But they could have done something different -- something that would surprise the views -- as well as the rest of China. Then on a side note I presented my idea.

Well that's my case, anyways great post. I'll check back here a lot -- looking forward to your next posts -- if they will all be this quality, your going to have a pretty popular blog.

sorry for the long comment, thanks for visiting and reading my blog, and best wishes

pacer521
http://culturedecoded.wordpress.com/